Translate Blog

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Acting vs Real World


     Everyone knows what the real world is. It's that place where everything you want to happen doesn't happen and the last thing you need to happen does. I mean, it never works the way you want. But that's ok, because  again, it's the Real World. Reality is a very exhausting place to be. And when you have to commit yourself fully to it, well sometimes it doesn't seem worth it.

     I mention in an earlier post that I was an aspiring actor/dancer. Reality is the worse place to be one of those. In all honesty, the chances of me making to the top as an actor or dancer are rather slim. but I'm banking on the chance I've got. I was talking to my roommate Greg the other about where we want to go in the future with our acting, how far would we like to take it. Of course were both want to be the best, make it to the top; beat the odds and become the greatest of the greats. But as an actor the There is a high probability that we could spend the rest of our acting careers as extras in the background, or doing commercials for erectile dysfunction pills. As unfortunate as that might sound, even the actors doing those commercials are the lucky ones. They made it doing something.

     But Greg and I were sitting on our couch and thinking, those people had dreams too. They probably wanted to be the best of the best, be the highest and brightest star in the sky. Yet, the std medication infomercial you see on late night TV  may be the highest and brightest they could be.

     I am also a little envious of those people, because they are doing what they love to do, although, I'm not sure they love being in an std infomercial, but still. They are getting paid to act. That's the dream. That's the goal. A friend of mine, Corbin, plans on moving to New York I think, after he earns his degree in Musical Theatre. His goal is Broadway. Now his hardships are the same. He knows he's probably looking at a part-time job while going to audition after audition in hopes of breaking into the business. I feel for him, I'm in the same boat. I'm thinking of joining him when the time comes to move on from college.

     So until the that day comes when we finally make it big, and get that dream job, it's just gonna be us, the actors, the performers versus the Real World.

2 comments: